11 September 2005

Hurricane Katrina Refugees

These are my nephews, Bryce and Cole, who were part of the many "displaced Americas" due to Hurricane Katrina. It wasn't until I was on my way back into the country that I found out about the disaster and then it was a full 24-hours later before I could make contact with my family. They evacuated to Athens, Alabama and then I invited them to stay with me in Atlanta. My mom, dad, sister, 2 nephews, 2 dogs and 1 cat. My sister left to check on her trailer after she heard it was on top of a truck. It took 6ft of water. She has nothing and is currently living in a shelter in Pearl River. My parents are still with me, going on 2 weeks, and will stay until power is restored and they can start to clean up. Their house survived while the houses on either side of them, among many others in Lake Village, have multiple trees on them.

**Update: My parents left this morning upon finding out last night that power had been restored after 2 weeks. Our neighbor reported that our house seems to have fared the best in the neighborhood. My sister reported that the house smelled a little funny but that it was probably due to the rank refridgerator.**

2 witty retorts:

Anonymous Tuesday, September 13, 2005  

We are glad to know that you are your family are okay. You were the first person that Rachel and I thought of when we heard about the storm. About your parents' home....the Lord is on your side. We love Shannon the avid travelin' momma!

Anonymous Friday, December 16, 2005  

I'm sorry for the things I did...
Sorry that I couldn't behave...
The Beach Bar is gone,
The hurricane took it away,
And now I live in the suburbs.

Lyrics to to a song I wrote after surviving the eye of Katrina in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi.
Now I live in Tennessee, but I am so homesick, I can't stand it. No body understands. Thanks for the pictures. They help me feel home.

  © Blogger template Ramadhan Al-Mubarak by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP