31 July 2008

Argentina 2008


We returned from our 3-week stint in Argentina. I LOVE his family! The best part for me was to see Diego surrounded by the people and places that he knew and loved. The new niece is so adorable and Diego wants to have one just like her - calm. I should remind him that in a few months she's not going to be the same as she now... Anyway. The family and friends were super friendly and sometimes they would take the time to speak slow enough, clear enough and with simply enough words for me to understand. Most of the time there was like 20 people speaking really fast and all at the same time. At those moments, I don't know if I should be ashamed to admit, I just shut off. I did pick up some new words though and I realized just how small my vocabulary is and waning. Anyway. We went dancing one night. Diego tried to warn me that the night life was much different. It starts at about 2am and goes until maybe 7 or 8. We made it from about 1-4:30am. He's been promising to take me dancing since January! Everyone wanted to cook for us. Typically it was asado (or barbecue) but they don't grill burgers and franks, this is full on meat people! I'd been prepared though. We've been having these types of get togethers with our Argentine friends here in Arizona for forever. Everyone there has some sort of dedicated, bricked-in grilling area - EVERYONE. It's like having a garage or a garbage disposal. The city he grew up in left a little to be desired... It was dirty and it seemed like every single wall was tagged with graffiti. Maybe I'm a little spoiled too. I've traveled some and when Diego pointed out the buildings and such I took note but in my head I was thinking, "They have that in New York AND in New Orleans." Of course, I've traveled enough to know that all places are the same. It's the people that make it different. And as I have noted, I LOVE his family!

4 witty retorts:

Dave Thursday, July 31, 2008  

Lawana!! That is awesome! thanks for the update. I hope you had a great time in Argentina. Makes me want to go back.

Anonymous Friday, August 01, 2008  

Shannon it looks like Diego has a great and loving family. You're so lucky! Look like a wonderful time, Welcome back:)

Ruth Saturday, August 02, 2008  

Reminds me of my time in Argentina (except I didn't visit Diego's family). Did you drink the mate?

Thompson Family Tuesday, August 05, 2008  

James and I enjoyed watching your slide show. It brought back a lot of memories for James siince he served his mission in Argentina. He was wondering what town Diego is from.

As far as memories go, seeing Les Miserables with you Natalie and Christy is a favorite memory of mine. I Loved the show and I love the company.

  © Blogger template Ramadhan Al-Mubarak by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP