16 October 2006

Road Trip 2006 - Day 1

Mom and I only travelled about 400 miles a day! We just had so much fun gettin' off the beaten path seeing the random sites. It took us 4 hours to get to Baton Rouge. Baton Rouge is only an hour and a half away!

Abita Springs, Louisiana

The Abita Mystery House

Our first stop is only about an hour from home. I can't help where all the good roadside sites are! It's a very quirky and eccentric musuem of anything the creator/artist could come up with. Very high on the cheese factor scale. These two images are tame in comparison to what we say for instance a 20-foot long bass with the head of an alligator or aliens at Mardi Gras.
This is his depiction of a New Orleans Jazz Funeral. You could press the button and some of the characters inside would animate. Note the flying "angels."
Me in one of the mirror pieces of the House of Shards - an entire house done up in shards...
Ponchatoula, Louisiana
The Strawberry Capital of Louisiana

We ate strawberry beignets at a little cafe and they were way yummy.
This bronze scuplture caught my attention cause the little strawberries are actually red. I don't know how they did that. I'm sure there's a simple enough explaination but I don't know it so it still gets to be amazing to me.
The city alligator? This is "Old Blue Eyes." He and his predecessor "Old Hard Hide" live in a cage at the city's center.
Beaumont, Texas

So we were going to see the Worlds (3rd) Largest Fire Hydrant but it was way raining so we didn't stop. We did however need to use the restroom facilities so we stopped at a gas station. I was grossed out at the bloody hand prints on the door and was about to take my "business" elsewhere when I realized that it was just their clever Halloween decorations. Now it's hilarious!

0 witty retorts:

  © Blogger template Ramadhan Al-Mubarak by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP