21 August 2009

I know some of you out there store food, but what I want to know is, what's your plan?

So our Stake President and recently "encouraged" us to get our 3 month food storage together by the end of September. I'm not really that overwhelmed by that direction cause Diego and I have been storing food every month practically since we've been married. Here's where my concern lies. I've been storing food, food we will eat even, but all of a sudden I realize that can't really do anything with it. I don't have a plan. I don't have 3 months worth of MEALS. I've done some research and got a few ideas but so much of what is out there seems, well, not yummy.

Anyone out there got some ideas? Meal ideas? I made some whole wheat blender pancakes this morning that were delish. I've got a recipe for gnocchi that uses instant potatoes that I'm going to try. Those things sound really yummy. Oatmeal cooked on the stove does not. I think I only like oatmeal when it's in cookies or individually packaged for me with lots of sugar. Is it just me? I've also seen lots of recipes for Mac and Cheese using evaporated milk and like 1 cup of cheese. Really? Come on! Maybe it really is yummy, I haven't tried it, but I just don't see how.

Okay, a word or two about why I'm compiling a 3 month supply of food and why an evangelical leader would ask me to get it done quickly, cause I know not everyone out there shares my same beliefs. Giving the economy at the moment, it's easier to grasp the idea of having a store of food. In the past, it has not been so easy to explain. People think I am crazy. It's not that I think the world is going to end (yet) but there are several shorter-term reasons for having backups. Here's a few for instances for ya. You or a friend/family member looses their job. There's a water shortage (as in Atlanta a few years ago). There's a trucking strike (as in Argentina). There's a natural disaster, however brief or long (as in Louisiana). There's a temporary price hike in groceries (or gas, for that matter). Do you get the picture? Like I said, when there was prosperity, this idea of food storage was that much harder to swallow. People are starting to get it now.

But anyway, back to me. I need help with my meal plans!

4 witty retorts:

Anna Saturday, August 22, 2009  

I have a hard time with that too. Are we planning for 3 months supply food with electricity, running water, etc, or should I be planning on 3 months supply with only a gas powered hot plate. I'm starting my planning assuming that I'll have the conveniences of my kitchen, but if I don't then I'm sure that I'll have wished that I stored 3 months supply of granola bars and non cook items. But to answer your question. I've picked about 4 or 5 meals that we really like that we have a good supply of (working up to 3 months). I think if things were that tight, I'd be fine with just 4 or 5 different meals and rotate them.

Tina Saturday, August 22, 2009  

I had this calling in my last ward. I always said for long-term, store wheat, flour, etc. I have a book from Deseret Book called Emergency Food in a Nutshell. It's great.

Now, for short-term, ie the 3-month-supply. Pick a week's worth of recipes you like and enjoy. Times the ingredients by 12 (3 months), and start buying. If you can afford to buy it all at once, great. But an extra ingredient at each grocery trip is great too. Obviously rotate and restock as needed. However, this assumes you have a home with power and fridge, stove, etc. Which I feel is the situation most of us in this country will face; you know job loss, or injury or whatever. But this is where I think the 72 hour kit comes in, in case of natural disaster.

The book I suggested includes how to store and cook without modern conveniences. I have not gotten that far, still working on the 3-month supply.

Good luck.

Anne Saturday, August 22, 2009  

I'm Kathy Shores' sister Anne and my obsession is food storage. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I created with a month's worth of meals and the coordinating grocery list (it's not perfect, but it's an effort). It's my grocery list every month, but my mantra with meals is "I'm in the mood." I mess around with the same ingredients to make different things. Page 2 of the spreadsheet is our food storage inventory. Love your blog and will share my stuff. anneburn69@yahoo.com

Cherie (and sometimes Senor) Sunday, August 23, 2009  

Shannon, I'd love to know what you find out from this. I've been trying REALLY hard to figure out how to successfully do the whole food storage thing. To be honest, I run into the same problem. And I also wonder how "bare bones" do they need to be? I mean, we went through a hurricane and if we'd had no power, no water, no gas we'd be working off our camping gear. Doesn't leave much room for cooking anything. So I struggle with how extreme to plan for as well. But as for meal ideas...I'll think on it. And keep checking what others report to you. Curious to see the info. good luck!

  © Blogger template Ramadhan Al-Mubarak by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP