29 August 2009

It hurts my feelings people! Stop doing it!

Again with the Spanish Branch! I gotta tell ya... Maybe I need a thicker skin or something but I don't really like it when I go up to someone to start a conversation, ask if they speak English (they do) and that person proceeds to talk directly to the next person that comes up, in Spanish, while I'm still standing there! I don't know. It hurts my feelings. There were no glaces in my direction - acknowledging that I was still there (understanding their Spanish and trying to be part of the conversation, mind you). That other person was even talking in English! I kept shifting my position closer...farther away...then closer again to the person that was getting all the eye contact. No avail. Hardly even a glance. RUDE!!! I have to assume that the person in question is somehow uncomfortable speaking English. But, she could have at least acknowledged my presence! Shesh. Stop it people! We English speakers are people too! Bother.

3 witty retorts:

Rynna Sunday, August 30, 2009  

hey shans! you will have noticed, like i did on my mission and continue to notice now that i'm married to a latin guy too, that their notions of good and bad manners and ours don't always line up quite flush, however: on the mission our ward mission leader didn't speak any english and he took us to task once, very politely, for breaking into english in front of him. he reminded us good manners dictate that everyone should speak whatever language is common to every person present so that no one is excluded from the conversation. point being, if you ask someone to speak english and then they ignore you and speak spanish, they are being rude and they know it. you are a hard-core trooper.

Rynna Sunday, August 30, 2009  

oh yeah - and whether they were speaking spanish or english, it was meany mean to ignore you! i validate your hurt feelings.

Supershepherds Thursday, September 03, 2009  

I totally agree. At the very least, one of them should have translated so you could be sure they weren't talkin trash about you.

  © Blogger template Ramadhan Al-Mubarak by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP